Welcome to Long Lake
The city of Long Lake is located about 20 miles west of the city of Minneapolis on US Highway 12 in Hennepin County. In 1855, the first settlers arrived and settled on the north side of Lake Minnetonka. The first settlement was named Cumberland Town. It included a general store, a schoolhouse, and a sawmill. In 1856, Henry Stubbs moved from Ohio and ran the first post office in the area from his home, which was named Tamarack. The railroad extended to Long Lake in 1868. In 1898, the Minnesota Fruit Growers Association to promote raspberry and strawberry production was established in Long Lake. Long Lake is located in the Orono School District, which has one elementary school, one intermediate school, one middle school and one high school. All of the schools are located along the same road.