Welcome to Minnetonka Beach
Minnetonka Beach was first surveyed and plotted by Adophus Bode in 1883. This 296-acre boot-shaped peninsula in Hennepin County had been previously called Island City. Minnetonka Beach is one of the smallest incorporated cities in Minnesota. A two-room schoolhouse that was built in 1909 serves as City Hall and Post Office today. The city is surrounded by Lake Minnetonka on three sides and the majority of residents have private or public lake access. Hotel Lafayette was opened on the shores of Lafayette Bay by James J. Hill in 1882. It burned to the ground in 1897. The current Lafayette Club building on Crystal Bay was dedicated in 1925. Minnetonka Beach is located in the Orono School District, which has one elementary school, one intermediate school, one middle school and one high school. All of the schools are located along the same road.