Welcome to Mound
The City of Mound is located approximately 20 miles west of Minneapolis in Hennepin County. It was previously named Mound City because of all of the Indian mounds discovered throughout the city. Established as the Village of Mound in 1912, the city was once known as the Trucking Capital of the World. Located on Harrison Bay, The Tonka Toys factory manufactured more trucks than any other company in the world. Tonka is the Dakota word for “great.” Up to 50,000 toy vehicles were manufactured daily by 1,000 employees in the 1960s. The company was purchased by Hasbro in 1991. The Andrews Sisters lived in Mound during the summers of 1917-1931. They were the most popular female signing group in the early to mid-1900s. The Westonka School District has two elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school.