Welcome to Plymouth
The city of Plymouth is located about 15 miles west of Minneapolis in Hennepin County. It is the seventh largest city in the state of Minnesota. With their encampment at the north end of Medicine Lake, the Dakota were the first inhabitants of Plymouth. Medicine Lake was named after “Mdewakan,” which means “Lake of the Spirit.” Antoine LeCounte arrived in the area in 1848 and settled there in 1852. In 1855, the town of Plymouth was established on the north shore of Parkers Lake when structures, including a gristmill, were built in the area. The trade of most settlers was farming. The four primary school districts include the Wayzata School District, the Robbinsdale School District, the Osseo School District, and the Hopkins School District.